Saturday, December 31, 2011

Lars von Trier


Lars von Trier.

I’d like to say how much I enjoyed your movies. Breaking the Waves is perhaps one of the most intensely personal film I’ve ever seen, followed closely by Antichrist, and now that I’ve seen Melancholia, I’ve been convinced to write you. I know that when I say ‘that I’ve ever seen’, that may not mean much to a personality like yourself, who has witnessed the production of films on a level many people like myself will never experience. I often think about what I would say to you if I ever met you. If I ever ran into you, what could I say? I might say the first thing that comes to my head, which would more than likely be something in the ballpark of ‘I don’t know what the hell to say, man! I have so many questions.’ Well, it’s true, I have many questions, and like so much in life, most of them will never be answered. I’d be happy, as would most of the rest of humanity, to take it in stride- to take it with as much salt as I can. Life is a cacophony of unanswered questions, but I’d like to think that if I knew everything I wanted to know, I’d realize that I’m already dead. Not to sound overly dramatic, but I think I get a glimpse of the afterlife when I watch your movies. It’s refreshing, to watch something made by someone who understands what it’s like to have so many questions, but knowing that they’ll never be answered, and be OK with it. You sir, create films that are the embodiment of the human condition. Because of this, I won’t ask you any questions. I’d only like to say thank you, and that my interest in the art you create will never waver, so long as the man behind the camera remains as devoted as you’ve been.

With sincerity-

James P McDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment